We love doing circuits. Demi, being a stay at home mum looking after our youngest son is always short of time. So when she does have time to workout a circuit is ideal.
As she can’t get to the gym, working out at home is her only option at the moment, plus it’s free! And we love free.
So last year I got Demi a pair of 12lb dumbbells which were ideal for this workout. I like rubber fixed weight dumbbells as they don’t move when you do exercises like renegade rows plus they are silent so if you workout in the morning or if you have young kids and workout when they nap you can work out in relative silence.
So if you are short of time and or need a home workout then this your ideal solution. Its short and can be done in under 20 minutes and all you need is a set of dumbbells.
Dumbbell workouts are awesome as you can add a load of new exercises to your HIIT workouts to make them more interesting and challenging. Which is especially important if you’ve been doing bodyweight only HIIT for a while and feel you need a new stimulus.
What’s even better is you’ll be hitting a whole new bunch of muscles that you perhaps weren’t activating before. There are some really good Glute and thigh exercises you can do with dumbbells.
Most of our clients experience faster body shape changes once they introduce weights into their workout routines.
If you are looking for a balanced workout that will burn lots of calories and get fitter and more toned fast then this full-body dumbbell circuit will be just what you are looking for. All the moves in this circuit will help you develop a well defined and balanced physique.
Make sure you do a quick 5-10 minute warm up before you dive into this workout like the one below.
The Workout – Full Body Dumbbell Circuit For Women
Do 20 reps of each exercise
Minimal rest interval between exercises
- Dumbbell Row Press Up Burpee
- Squat Jumps
- Dumbbell Split Squat Thrusters
- Plank Jacks
- Dumbbell Sumo High Pull
- High To Low Plank
Rest 1-2 minutes after each round. Repeat x 3-4 rounds
The whole workout shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes
- Related – The Best Exercises For A Flat Stomach
1. Dumbbell Push Up Renegade Row Burpee
I saw this and wanted to try it with my clients. While I can do it, it’s a very advanced move. With HIIT you want to be able to move with pace through your workout but for most of my clients this just slowed them right down. Try it and see if you can do it, if its too much or you find its slowing you down remove the burpee part of this exercise.
2. Squat Jumps
One of the most effective moves in HIIT training is the squat jump.
- Start by standing tall with your feet under your hips, wider if it’s more comfortable.
- Squat down as if you are sitting down on a chair and then once your hips are around knee level explode upwards into a jump.
- On your way back down to the floor aim to land gently going straight back into a squat to repeat. There should be no breaking of the movement.
- Complete 20 Repetitions
3. DB Split Squat Thrusters
We love thrusters, they are one of the best metabolic exercises which makes them great in any workout plan where you want fast results. We’ve made a slight change to make it more interesting by making it a split squat rather than a traditional squat. We hope you like it.
- Start by holding the dumbbells on your shoulders with your legs split. one leg forwards and one leg back. If you kneel down to the floor both knees should be at 90 degree angles.
- lower your back knee down towards the floor, touch it if you want very lightly.
- Push back up and as you reach your start position push your dumbbells up and above your head with fully extended arms (avoid hyperextending).
- This completes one rep. Complete 20 total reps swapping your lead leg after 10.
4. Plank Jacks
Another great core HIIT exercise that will target your lower abs plus much more.
- In the low plank position jump your legs out to shoulder width and then back in again to toes together.
- Maintain a flat back and straight legs throughout.
- Complete 20 repetitions
5. Dumbbell Sumo High Pull
Another great all over dumbbell exercise that works multiple muscles for the maximum burn!
- Start by standing in a wide stance, Toes turned slightly out with the dumbbells in your hands and palms facing inwards towards your body. Imagine you are holding a bar in both hands.
- Drop into a sumo squat by pushing your hips down and back and allow the weights to drop with you maintaining a nice upright position. Try to let your hips line up level with your knees before standing back up.
- Stand up and once you reach your standing position pull the dumbbells up close to your body until they reach your sternum or your elbows are level with your shoulders.
- This completes one rep – Perform 20.
6. High To Low Plank
The high to low plank is a great exercise for your triceps whilst targeting your core for a stronger and flatter stomach.
- Start this in a high plank position with hands placed under your shoulders on the floor, body stretched out to your toes.
- From this high plank, you take one arm and bring it down to the floor so you are on your forearm, repeat the other side so that you finish in a low plank.
- Once down, push back up one arm at a time until you return to the high plank position once more.
- Complete 20 reps switching the lead arm half way through.
How To Make This Workout Easier
If your weights are too light that is fine, just work fasterfor a cardio HIIT workout. If they are too heavy you can reduce the number of reps on that exercise. You don’t really want to stop moving for long. Moving from one exercise to the next with minimal rest.
So like I said earlier Demi needed to improvise a little with the workout. The dumbbells were too heavy for the split squat thrusters so once she couldn’t do any more we dropped one dumbbell and used just the one to push up with two arms so she was able to complete the set of 20.
This workout is also great if you can use a gym and you like to be out of the way, all you need to do is find a pair of dumbbells that you can use for the whole workout and then find a workout space and stay there until you’re done.
finish off your workouts with our abs workout plan
Compliment your fat-burning HIIT workouts with our challenging ab and core workouts that Demi did and still does to maintain her tight, toned flat belly.
Our plan promises that in 21 days you’ll have noticeably flatter abs after following the workout plan and accompanying food guide. Learn more by clicking the image below or heading to —> 21 Day Flat Belly Abs & Core Plan.
Keep working hard, that dream body is yours for the taking.